Suggest treatment for symptoms of IBS

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have asked similar questions before, but my anxiety is increasing. I have been diagnosed with IBS for quite some time; however, my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I have stomach aches after I eat, pain under my left ribs, and short jabs of abdominal pain primarily on my lest side-middle and upper region. I'm very worried about cancer, especially pancreatic.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get a CT abdomen done. to rule out cancer possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Firstly small briefing for Irritable bowel syndrome and why every patient is a unique case when we deal with IBS.
In IBS there is some problem in the functional ability of the gut that leads to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. The structure of the intestines is normal, only functional abnormality occurs in this condition.So frankly speaking (IBS) represents a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract without the presence of an anatomic defect.

Recent studies by French scientists have indicated that the most important mechanisms include visceral sensitivity, abnormal gut motility and autonomous nervous system dysfunction. The interactions between these three mechanisms make bowel's function susceptible to many exogenous and endogenous factors like gastrointestinal flora, feeding and psychosocial factors.

Further data indicate that according to the above mechanisms, the influence of genetic factors and polymorphisms of human DNA in the development of IBS is equally important.

So in lay mans language till date we are not sure whats the exact cause of this problem.So the million dollar question is how to repair a system when you don't know which part of it is faulty(Some says it can be brain other says it can be hormone anxiety age..So as seen above every patient is different.Intensity of symptoms in every patient is different as so is the response to medicines and life style change.A patient may respond good to one medication while other patient is totally unresponsive to the same.

Our goal-
Every drug is not effective in every patient so we have to try different therapies till we find the drug which suits best our patient.

Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug.An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells.

Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by patient with minimal side effects. Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines, causing them to relax.

Chlordiazepoxide works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.Can be used in combination with above mentioned medicines.

Ask your Gastroenterologist to start you initially on clidinium bromide and mebeverine combination initially for 21 days.

As per query regarding pqncreatic cancer just get a CT scan of abdomen done.
Things would be clear.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng