Suggest treatment for facial numbness

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 15 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: How long for facial numbness(gum, cheek, nose, and around eye) to stop after treatment for facial shingles?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can't be predicted

Detailed Answer:

it usually gets better within a few weeks but it can't be predicted. In some patients sensory problems may continue for months (and even years). In other patients they may wear off after 2-3 weeks. If you have significant pain you can use analgesics (like paracetamol with a low-dose opioid) and drugs for neuropathic pain (like pregabalin or gabapentin). If you don't have pain then you can't do much...

Vitamin B12 is supposed to help with nerve recovery but there are no adequately documented benefits.

Kind Regards!