• question-icon

Suggest treatment for eye pressure despite using Glycerine

Posted on Wed, 23 Nov 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: We did try the glycerine to control eye pressure and it was a failure. The pressure is up to 54
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anti glaucoma drugs need revision.

Detailed Answer:
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There is large number of medication available to control glaucoma.Local eye drops,diamox tablets orally,glycerine orally and lastly as a temporary measure I.V. mannitol.
If these do not control pressure property then Trabeculectomy with mitomycin C application is the method of choice ,usually.Are your doctors thinking on those lines?Time is short,as if this pressure allowed to remain at that level,it damages the optic nerve permanently.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
the doctor thinks the Trabeculectomy with mitomycin C is a last resort, as there is risk involved. we have tried all kinds of drops and medication as I have told you before. None have worked so far.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Control pressure.

Detailed Answer:
My Dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Our penultimate resort is I.v. injection mannitol 350/500ml,drip given fairly rapidly at a rate of 40 drops per minute.Though this will certainly bring down pressure but for a day or so at best. As the time is running out, you have to take a decision quickly.

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist