Suggest treatment for eye infection

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello, I've been on antibiotic eye drops for 2 weeks for what my Dr. said was pink eye.I'm not getting better, I'm getting worse. I wash my pillow cases every day, I haven't worn makeup, I'm using Clorox wipes on everything I touch and no one else in the house had caught it. Could this be something else? oh, and 2 days ago I added an allergy eyedrop too try to get some relief. I'm still waking up with my eyes glued shut, if I wake up during the night I can feel them running down my face...I'm enclosing a picture which also shows the major swelling around my eyes. What else can I do or should I do? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
infllammation

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is infection as well as infllammation combined.
Wash your eyes 3 to 4 times with water.
We treat such cases with antibiotic eye ointment application at night as there is no medication in the night.
Antibiotic drops to continue.
We want to know the antiallergic drops you are using so we can advice accordingly..
Some infections take little longer to control. You may use oral anti infllatory tablets like ibuprofen 400 mg.twice a day.
Get back to us with information about antiallergic drop and any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 29 minutes later
The antibiotic eye drops are Tobramycin and the over the counter eye drops for allergies is Opcon-A by Bausch and Lomb.Thank you
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
anti infllammatory treatment.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Tobramycin is a good antibiotic but if possible change the antibiotic as had the organisms be sensitive to this then your problem should have been over.
An antibiotic eye ointment to be applied at bed time.Erythromycin eye ointment may be available OTC.
Anti infllamatory tablets/eye drops will help greatly.
Any further query in this regard please do get back to me immediately.