Suggest treatment for epididymitis

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have developed some tenderness on my right testicle. It is painful to the touch on one specific spot on the right testicle. It hurts when I'm sitting in certain positions, and when it is touched by clothing such as underwear. It started yesterday. Is this something to be concerned about. I don't notice any swelling- just tenderness when touch on one side of the right testicle.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You seem to to have infection of Epididymis(Epididymitis)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed infection of Epididymis (Epididymitis)/

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound Scanning of Scrotum .

In the mean while start taking broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefotaxime along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 days later
Thank you doctor. I followed your advice & consulted with my doctor who placed me upon antibiotics - ciprofloxacin.

1. He also advised me that this medication causes tendon weakness & to be careful not to exert too much while on the medication. Do you agree?

2. Are there any other precautions that I should take in your opinion- while taking this medication?

3. My doctor also asked me if I was having difficulty urinating? I told him I wasn't. Was the purpose of that question to determine if I was suffering from testicular torsion?

4. Do you think it's likely that this problem will recurr? Is there any way to prevent this infection in the future?

Thank you again for your valuable assistance.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is rare but known complication of Ciprpfloxacin & nothing to be worried

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
Sorry for delay in answering as I was traveling .

I would answer your queries as detailed below.
1) You can continue taking Ciprofloxacin as advised by your DR.

2)Take Pantaprozole twice dail along with Ciprofloxacin as it causes drug induced gastritis .

3 Epididymitis is secondary to UTI and that is the reason your Dr inquired about urinary symptoms,

4)You should always drink more water to avoid getting UTI and recurrence of Epididymitis.

Thanks and Regards .
Dr.Patil..