Suggest treatment for electric sensations in the hand

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: As as I use my weed trimmer I continuously receive an electrical shock on my hand that is handling the trigger (right hand) ..it is very uncomfortable and I'm afraid to continue using it. Can you tell me what is going on or happening to receive this shock?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Carpal tunnel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Could you specify which region of the hand you feel the shock-like sensation?

This appears to be Carpal tunnel syndrome, where the is possible compression of the median nerve in your wrist. This can cause shock-like sensation over the outer aspect of the palm, the thumb, index finger region.

Avoid performing repetitive activity with the affected hand. Avoid excessive weight lifting. Apply warm packs to the affected region.

Do reply to my question for a more specific understanding of your condition.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 days later
Thank you for you're response...the affected area is in my right hand-the middle & index fingers along with my right thumb. Theyfeel like they're frozen or very numb...the shocking sensation is coming off of the fingers to the bottom of my palm heel & sometimes running along to my right elbow & shoulder. This happens when I'm trying to make fist or grasp an item. There is tingling throughout the night & day.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Precautions and further management

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you do seem to have Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Avoid jerky repetitive activities, avoid working with hand drills, apply warm packs to the affected region and to the 'heel' region of the palm. You can wear a wrist splint during the night to prevent wrist bending.

Consult a Physiotherapist to strengthen thumb movements, grip and pinch activities, flexor retinaculum stretching, nerve and tension gliding exercises.

Take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day after meals and Tablet Rabeprazole twice a day before meals for 5 days. You can take Tablet Pregabalin 75mg at night for the tingling sensation.

Do get a test called Electromyography or EMG to confirm the compression of the median nerve causing Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 hours later
Thank you again.. I'm in the process of obtaining a referral from my medical doctor to go see a specialist...thank you again
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. Get well soon. Do follow up on your progress.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad