Suggest treatment for ear pain and high pitch sound causing headache

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Earache with high pitch sound starting to cause headache
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible infection

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. I am a headache specialist and adult neurologist.

What you describe very well could be the start of an infectious process starting in the ear leading to both the tinnitus as well as headaches.

You should get this checked out sooner rather than later. I don't know what part of the world you are in but if you are in the U.S. then, it is not likely that you will find any doctor's office open now but if the headache is likely to get severe then, I would support your trip to an ER at this time. If you can control the headache with simple measures such as Tylenol or Motrin then, staying at home is acceptable and perhaps even preferable except you will need to look for someone on a Saturday or Sunday that has office hours.

Also, start taking in large quantities of water since this will tend to flush out whatever virus or pathogenic organisms may have infected you.

It is not uncommon for the high pitched sound (TINNITUS) to trigger headaches of at least a moderate to severe type. You may wish to try a standard dose of ES Tylenol and take at least 1500 mg. (3 tablets) to see if you can cut the headache off. Of course, it would be nice if you could really stick with the medication and just get rid of the exacerbating feature of the tinnitus if you knew where it was coming from or being produced.

I hope this answer satisfactorily addresses your question. If so, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback?

Also, if there are no other questions or comments, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so this question can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary.

Please direct more comments and questions to me in the future at:

bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi and I would be honored to answer you and continue this discussion.

All the best.

The query has required a total of 10 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist