Suggest treatment for dry eye
Welcome to HealthCareMagic
Thank you for sending in your query.
To treat dry eye we as a doctor and patient have to understand that its a not a single disease entity but rather a syndrome in it self.
It is caused by chronic lack of lubrication of the eye.
This lack of moisture and constant irritation leads to inflammation, which in turn leads to the various symptoms.
So to treat any symptom related to dry eye we need to eliminate or minimize any type of trigger or initiating factor leading to dry eye.
Common preventive measures could be avoiding know allergens, minimizing contact lens wear, avoiding digital screens, minimizing computer work, avoing dry climate.
Sufficient amount of lubrication is the prime treatment modality. Patient may benefit from the gel form of lubricants if frequent instillation is not possible.
Wear sunglases to avoid exposure and evaporation.
Nutritional supplementation like Omega 3 fatty acids have shown benefit.
Maintaining body hydration is also important.
Punctal occlusion may be tried in severe cases.
Please do get back to me if you need further assistance.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Plaquenil,vitreous detachment.Side effect?
- How is eye infection in diabetics treated ?
- Optic atrophy, uveitis. Curable?
- Does cannabis have any side effect causing retina tear ?
- Can driving, swimming, flight journey and involve in sex, 10 days after...
- What are the brown patches in my eye after being hit by a soccer ball?
- Green discharge from eye, red eye, unable to open eyelid. Causes ?
- How is hypermetropia in children treated ?
- Eye pain, taken artificial tears, wear CPAP mask, have type 2 diabetes,...
- Congenital cataract in both eyes, signs of squint. First squint surgery...