Suggest treatment for dry eye

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My mother has pain in her right eye, she already had a complaint of dry eye. Any pain relief and guidance is greatly appriciated. Thanks
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Holistic Approach

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthCareMagic

Thank you for sending in your query.

To treat dry eye we as a doctor and patient have to understand that its a not a single disease entity but rather a syndrome in it self.

It is caused by chronic lack of lubrication of the eye.

This lack of moisture and constant irritation leads to inflammation, which in turn leads to the various symptoms.

So to treat any symptom related to dry eye we need to eliminate or minimize any type of trigger or initiating factor leading to dry eye.

Common preventive measures could be avoiding know allergens, minimizing contact lens wear, avoiding digital screens, minimizing computer work, avoing dry climate.

Sufficient amount of lubrication is the prime treatment modality. Patient may benefit from the gel form of lubricants if frequent instillation is not possible.

Wear sunglases to avoid exposure and evaporation.

Nutritional supplementation like Omega 3 fatty acids have shown benefit.

Maintaining body hydration is also important.

Punctal occlusion may be tried in severe cases.

Please do get back to me if you need further assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar