• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea, nausea and ear infection

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello I am a 35 year old women160lbs smoker, weekend drinker. I have been experiencing a sharp to dull pain under my right rib going from front to back for eight days now. It's on going thru out the day. I feel it more when sitting, after I eat and laying down. Two days ago the pain went away for a day after having a bowel movement The next day I had diarrhea and the pain came back. The pain started after I finished taking antibiotics for an ear infection. The first week was Sulfamethoxazole which made me very nauseas, dizzy and vomit so my doctor's switched me to Azithromycin. I also take high blood pressure medicine Lisinapril.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the below explanations

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking.

You are reporting to have dull pain under rib on right side.
This symptom may be related with :
- gallbladder issues like sludge or stones
- bacterial gut misbalance/ candida overgrowth due to antibiotic use. in such cases diarrhea is more common than pain.
- antibiotic side effects
Otherwise it is really important to do:

- abdominal ultrasound to rule out / confirm gallbladder issues.
- fecal test for candida
Meantime I wouldrecommend to use:
- Antispasmodic drugs like butoscopolamine
- probiotics
- take plenty of water
Hope it was helpful to you.
All the best.
Dr.Klerida

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist