Suggest treatment for diarrhea and fever in an infant

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi my name XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
my baby is 1month & 11 days old, he was omitting & had loose greenish motion. We done stool routine done here had blood occult positive. Our Dr. prescribed anti biotic (Omnix 50 1.5 ml 2 times a day), enterogermnia & Z&D suspension 0.5 ml one time a day. After 5 days we did again stool routine where blood occult is negative. But still loose motion has not stopped fully. Baby has fever fom yesterday, we are giving calpol as precribed by doctor could you please help.
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
will settle soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If the stool for blood is negative now, no need to worry.
The infection is no longer severe. It has responded very well to the medicines your doctor has prescribed.
But it may take few more days for stools to settle . For fever continue the medicines you are giving currently.
Do give ORS frequently.
Ensure urine output atleast 6 times daily.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for diarrhea and fever in an infant 17 hours later
Thanks for your reply Dr. XXXXXXX
I have one question from your answer, as far as I know babies less then 6 month old are not give ORS. Only breast feeding is recomended, isnt it?

Answered by Dr. Arun 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
depends on stool freq and volume

Detailed Answer:
If stool volume and freq is less , you can manage with breastfeeding. If it is more , ors will be helpful to prevent dehydration. It is safe and recommended.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for diarrhea and fever in an infant 1 hour later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX
I have one more question, if baby is not burping after feeding, what need to be done? Sometimes even if try to burp baby for more then 20 min baby doesnt burp. Is there any alternate?

Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do nOt worry

Detailed Answer:
After 20 min, if there's no burp , no problem. Nothing to be done. Just try burping each time. No problem if not coming .