Suggest treatment for diarrhea and extreme abdominal pain

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Ok I have had diarrhea for over eight weeks and extreme abdominal pain. And it hurts to eat so I don't very often. So yesterday I went to the doctor and I lost 27lbs in 22 days. Overall I've lost over 50lbs. What do you think is wrong and do you think I should be admitted to the hospital?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See a gastroenterologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this chronic diarrhea. The causes of chronic diarrhea are much different and in most cases not caused by bacteria. This is not surprising that first line screening tests for diarrhea would for sure come back negative as they principally look for germs. The weight loss is concerning and something needs to be done soon to address this.

Causes of chronic diarrhea like mal-digestion and mal-absorption need to be evaluated carefully. He can be from the liver, pancreas, intestinal mucosal, food type, some infections, auto-immune conditions, etc.

A consultation with a gastroeneterologist would permit a detailed history, examination and investigations to pinpoint the cause of this diarrhea and manage accordingly. For now, drink much water and take an anti-diarrheal agent like loperamide for symptoms control. How often do you visit the toilet? Do you have any other disease condition? Do you have blood in stools?

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services this day. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.