Suggest treatment for diabetic neuropathic pain in gums

Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: I have a sudden onset of diabetic neuropothy pain in my gums. I've been to a dentist, who made the diagnosis. Then to my doctor who says shes never heard of it. I'm already taking 300 units per day of Lyrica, the XXXXXXX she can prescibe. She wants to prescribe a variety of pain killers. Any other way to address this very painful problem?
Answered by Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diabetic neuropathic pain is very rare in gums

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
I am very sorry about your condition.
In my opinion diabetic neuropathic pain is very rare in gums.
As in uncontrolled diabetes the Excess of sugar will affect long nerves first,mostly nerves in extremities like feet and palms.
I would like to know some details of your condition
1.Nature of pain and duration of pain
2.duration of diabetes and do you have family members with diabetes?
3. what are the medications used for diabetes ?
4.Do you have any symptoms in legs and hands?
5.Have you done any blood tests recently?
kindly provide me with this information to guide you better.
Dr XXXXXXX Krishna
Diabetologist
Apollo Hospitals
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju