Suggest treatment for diabetes

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: hello doc today i post tested sugar less XXXXXXX 2 hr it came 166 and after 2 hr it came 123 what it is

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Brief answer....this is normal
Detailed answer...
The criteria for diagnosis of diabetes is to have fasting blood sugar levels above 126 and at hours after meals,it should be above 200.
When you take a meal your blood sugar levels start rising and there is corresponding rise of insulin levels to take care of sugar levels.
If you test your sugar levels before 2 hours then at that time,there is high level of blood sugar levels which comes to normal levels at 2 hours.This is a normal physiology.
In diabetics,the response of body to high post meal sugar,by secreting insulin from pancreas,is blunted and this results in high 2 hours post meal sugar levels.
Any value of blood sugar level, at 2 hours after meal ,between 140 to 200 mg is called as Pre diabetic stage.
Pre diabetic stage suggests that the person has blunted response and would develop diabetes in coming few years,if he doesn't take care of that.
Your values of 123 at 2 hours post meal is perfectly normal.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks