Suggest treatment for depression along with mood swings

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Relationship
Question: my mom has been haveing trouble over the past year with depression and anxiety. the drugs shes on really mess her up somtimes and are makeing her put on weight. what can i do as a son to help her?
like she has moments when she is in a really angry mood and nothing can change it what should i do in that situation?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medications + Counselling + family Support will work.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

Depression is a serious disorder and has to be treated properly. It requires both counselling from a Psychiatrist and medications.

I understand that many medications used for Depression have significant side effects but sometimes managing Depression and Anxiety without using medications can be very difficult.

There are many medications which may not cause serious side effects . Kindly discuss with her treating Psychiatrist about these . But know one thing that there is no medicine which doesn't come without any side effects.

In that case we need to accept certain side effects ( Weight Gain in your mom's case ) for the benefits these medications give.

Apart from medications counselling from Psychiatrist plays a very important role. Here the Psychiatrist tries to dig into her mind for the reason of depression and tries to convince her that everything can become normal.

Apart from Counselling from Psychiatrist it is the family support that determines the success of treatment. She has to be supported during her spells or Anger or during sad moments. She has to be involved in all family activities like having food together, watching TV or going out for temple/Church/Mosque or for movies or eating out.

Involving her in discussion of family matters . This kind of support has to be given all the family members and not just by you.

Get her motivated to learn something new in life like playing a musical instrument or painting or cooking new dishes . This will divert her mind from Anxiety and depression. I also recommend learning Yoga.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Divakara