• question-icon

Suggest treatment for dementia

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I believe my father has dementia heading toward ahltheimer's. He raced stock cars for 20 years, I counted four concussions. He wakes in the morning very confused and not sure what he is doing. He explaains his conditions as "no matter what he thinks or does, it dose'nt seem right." I refuse to put him in assisted living cuz he took care of me after my mother passed away when I was eight. What medications are available to help slow the process?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Let him see a neurologist first!

Detailed Answer:

Am ahhpy to hear you have this personal connection with your dad and determined to do all for him. That is great. From the information and his past history ,dementia seems likely. However, he needs a comprehensive evaluation to confirm this and also establish a baseline to which all treatment efforts can be evaluated in future. Furthermore, common factors that cause and worsen dementia such as vitamin B12 deficiency, hypothyroidism, dilated ventricles would be evaluated and addressed accordingly.

For sure there are medications to help slow down progress but the above steps must be followed to reap the most benefit. Also, these are controlled substances and can only be issued by your dad’s treating doctor.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Above all, keep me updated with your efforts and his response to treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 49 minutes later
Thank you for your response, I truly appreciate it. There are only two Neurologists Here in Dubuque and I have checked into both. Unfortunately I did not like the feedback that I received from some creditable sources. I have POA and will aske his Interest for a referal to the University of Iowa Hospitals. Physically he is healthy as a horse (please excuse my analogy), but I am not ready to loose him mentally any time soon.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will appreciate updates from you!

Detailed Answer:

Good to know you have already set up an appointment. Let me know how it goes and what the findings from this are. With that information, I should be able to provide more insights and guidance, though from a distance.

I wish you well. I wish your dad well. I hope to read from you when new developments come in.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Chobufo Ditah