Suggest treatment for de-pigmentation of lip
I have observed that my lip is abnormal for the last five years. I thought it would be due to smoking. However i am suspecting this may be lip vitiligo. I discussed the same with a derm and told this might be due to smoking inflammation which has caused de- pigmentation. I would like to get an second opinion on this. Also, the pigmentation appeared in some area of my lip after exposing it to sun. Kindly advice.
Hello. Thank you for writing to us
I have taken note of your query and I have also reviewed the Image.
This looks very much like vitiligo.
I can also see some patches of re-pigmentation.
I suggest you to use a topical steroid e.g mometasone furoate 0.1% ointment, once daily over the affected area.
Protect from sun.
Can you tell me how much time it takes to get the pigmentation in the affected area?. I heard the sun exposure makes pigmentation but your response states that to protect from sun. Can you please explain this?
Clarification regarding the amount of sun exposure in vitiligo
Response is slow at this area. It may takes weeks or months for noticeable results.
I would suggest that you start with treatment and see how it goes. Treatment may have to be modified if it does'nt respond after 6-8 weeks.
Since the patch is totally devoid of melanin pigment therefore it is easily prone to sunburn particularly since it is an exposed part of body.
No doubt, Sun can induce repigmentation in vitiligo patches but as a part of therapy in vitiligo sun exposure is usually advised for a limited period of time i.e for a few minutes only and not for prolonged periods.
Therefore prolonged sun exposure should be reduced if you are out for long periods and you must also use a sunscreen.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for canker sores inside the lip
- Suggest treatment for chapped lips
- What treatment is suggested for canker sore on lower lip
- Suggest treatment for chronic dry lips
- Suggest treatment for dryness and itchiness under the lips
- Pigmentation and dark circles on cheeks and lips treatment
- Suggest treatment for dry lips
- Suggest treatment for pigmentation of lips
- Suggest treatment to remove pigmentation around the lips
- Suggest treatment for open lip after an injury
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body