Prolonged menstrual cycle, bright red bleeding with blood clots, bleeding twice in a month. Medical attention needed?

I have had regular periods since I stared getting my cycle. I am now 44 & for the fisrt time I got 2 periods this month. My cycle usually only last 3 days & I am in day 5 today. It is bright red, with blodd clots but not the the regular clotting.Should I notify my doctor? I have never gone over 3 days & have never had 2 in one o month, not even 2 weeks after the start of my first one.
Mon, 22 Jul 2013