Suggest treatment for cystitis of the urinary tract

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: pretty certain that I have cystitis of the uninary tract. Frequent, painful urination. Like every half hour. What to do?!
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
confirmation and treatment

Detailed Answer:

with the symptoms you've described, a lower urinary tract infection (UTI) is indeed the most likely diagnosis. You can confirm it with a urinalysis and perhaps also a urine culture (although this is not necessary). Antibiotics will make you feel better and kill the pathogen. The most appropriate antibiotic will be determined by your history. Important information include: recent antibiotic exposure, risk for resistant pathogen (like recent hospitalization), history of allergic reaction to antibiotics, etc.

For most uncomplicated UTI the following antibiotics are considered to be good picks: amoxicillin-clavulanate, cephalosporins, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, quinolones, nitrofurantoin. You'd better consult your doctor for the most appropriate antibiotic for your case.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!