Suggest treatment for cut wound on heel of child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello, my 3 year old daughter cut the bottom of her foot. We actually aren't even sure when. We noticed after swim class today on the bottom of her heal a 1/4 inch in length deep split type of laceration. Then coming up the inner side of the heel is some red streaking, and it is warm to the touch. She doesn't complain much unless it is touched, and I do think she is favoring her heal when walking. Should I take her to ER, or just continue to keep it clean and dressed with neosporin and bandage until Tuesday when doctors office is open?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It does not seem alarming to me

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the mentioned details as well as the attached image. Since there is no active bleeding, I do not think any intervention is required at the moment. Hence, rather than taking her to the ER, I would suggest you to wait and observe. Keeping the area clean and dry is essential. Continue dressing of the area with neosporin. Applying a few drops of Cod liver oil may hasten the healing.

Redness or pus over the area, and fever, are the signs to look out for. In such a case, medical consultation would be necessarily. Otherwise you can manage her at home.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Great thanks. ,
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. In case you found my answer to be useful, please close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.