Suggest treatment for constipation
Consultation with a gastroenterologist required.
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
The management of constipation depends on the cause of constipation.
Constipation may be due to less amount of fiber in diet or it may be a part of irritable bowel syndrome or it may be due to growth in the lower gastrointestinal tract (GIT).
The clinical history is of utmost importance.
If constipation is habitual, then it may be due to less fiber in diet.
It can be corrected by increasing fiber in diet and by increasing fluid intake especially water intake.
If constipation occur due to stress or change of environment, it is probably due to irritable bowel syndrome.
If constipation alternates with diarrhea or it is accompanied with blood in stools (frank or occult), it is probably due to growth in the GIT.
In the last presentation, a colonoscopy of the colon is required to look for any growth.
I would suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist for clinical assessment, relevant investigations and thus management.
If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for constipation
- Suggest treatment for constipation and gas
- What treatment is suggested for constipation
- Suggest treatment for terible constipation
- Suggest treatment for constipation with acidity
- Suggest treatment for constipation in a baby
- Suggest treatment for constipation in a child
- Suggest treatment for severe constipation
- Suggest treatment for bloating and constipation
- Suggest treatment for constipation and stress