Suggest treatment for cold and cough in an elderly person

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Have a 90 year mother who has had a brain bleed (hammeroggic stroke)6 months ago. Has a viral cold with coughing. What can I give her so she does not get exhausted from
+coughing 4 weeks ago she had a kidneystone removed after a serious infection. Was on Ciproflocks for 5 or 6 days.

What would be safe to give her what looks to be a chest cold. . no medication. BP good. Temperature normal
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for the query.
For a simple viral cold and cough she can be given desloratidine 5mg once a day. It is non sedating. She should also take warm fluids.
Sometimes the viral infections are followed by bacterial infection and she would require an antibiotic if a bacterial infection follows.
Do get back to me if you have further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 30 minutes later
Thank you. Do not have access to desloratidine at the moment.Have Benylin (regular strength Dry Cough 100 ml syrup. Could I use it ? Since it has antihistamine would it be safe. Am trying to find something just to make her sleep for the night. That too if she really needs it. Appreciate your help
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Benylin has an antihistamine which has a sedative effect. Though it may give her sleep, it may also decrease her breathing which can be dangerous if she is hypoxic.
Be very careful if you want to use it and give her only a small dose like you would give for a baby.
Dr. Noble Zachariah