• question-icon

Suggest treatment for clogged left ear

Posted on Wed, 19 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: My left ear is plugged most of the time. I can get relief if I plug my noes and swallow but generally lasts a minute or so. It is now that way while sleeping.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear wax blockage. Need removal for relief. COnsult ENT

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Left ear gets plugged most commonly in old age secondary to ear wax blockage. Earwax blockage occurs when earwax (cerumen) accumulates in your ear or becomes too hard to wash away naturally.

No worries it is easily manageable problem. All you need to do is go to otorhinolaryngologist and they will remove excess wax using a small, curved instrument called a curet or by using suction while inspecting the ear. Your doctor can also flush out the wax using a water pick or a rubber-bulb syringe filled with warm water.

They will then prescribe you with some wax-removal medication, such as carbamide peroxide (Debrox, Murine Earwax Removal System).

You can give it a try at home as well by first softening the wax with lubricants like baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide and then after a day or two try squirting warm water in ear using rubber bulb syringe and see if it helps. Don forget to dry your ear canal by a towel gently or a dryer hand held.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Regrads
Khan

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan