What causes itching sensation and scab like area inside ears?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: my ears have been itching and I can feel a very hard numb scab like area inside. how can I loosen it and drain it at home?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ear wax with likely otitis externa , needs removal,

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Itchy sensation with a scab like feeling inside ear is likely an ear wax blocking your outer ear and causing irritation. Ear wax removal sometimes is tricky and challenging and needs loosening first.

Use an eyedropper to apply a few drops of baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal. You can use olive oil as well. After a day or two, when the wax is softened, use a rubber-bulb syringe to gently squirt warm water into your ear canal. Tilt your head and pull your outer ear up and back to straighten your ear canal. When finished irrigating, tip your head to the side to let the water drain out. You may need to repeat the process for full eradication. Ear wax removal kits are easily available.

I would suggest loosen the wax and then consulting the otorhinolaryngologist and let them suction it out by using the special instruments designed for it like curette. You may apply ear wax loosening medications such as carbamide peroxide (Debrox, Murine Earwax Removal System).

irritation may also indicate a concomitant infection of outer ear canal ( could be fungal or bacterial) and may need a prescription of antibiotic or antifungal for that as well.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan