• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic pain in the neck

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My neck has been fused from C2\1 to T1 in a surgery last year. Prior to that it was fused from C3 thru C5. That lasted 9 years. How long can I expect this surgery to hold up and how can I manage chronic pain?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More than one decade.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

There are no exact timeframes about cervical spine fusion duration, generally, they hold more than one decade, several factors interfere with this.

Chronic pain in your case could be improved by avoiding physical efforts, using cervical collar during traveling, physical therapy and by use of Antineuralgic drugs. ( NSAID, opioids, antiseizure drugs, etc.).

Please discuss with your Doctor about the prescription of antineuralgic drugs if you are in a lot of pain.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I could assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 16 hours later
Thank you very much for your response. I need to plan ahead. One more question or affirmation. If it fails at C1/C2, will it be an instant event that would not require hospitalization and long term care? Please answer me honestly to the best of your ability. I know you don't have a crystal ball, but I would like a realistic answer.

Also, would I feel any pain at that level of a break.

Thank you for your response - so very much.
XXXXXXX XXXX

This is the 2nd time I am submitting this request in case you did not see it. Please respond as well as you can to a complicated question with many variables. I need to plan ahead.
One more question or affirmation. If it fails at C1/C2, will it be an instant event that would not require hospitalization and long term care? Please answer me honestly to the best of your ability. I know you don't have a crystal ball, but I would like a realistic answer.

XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Instability at C1/C2 very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Don't worry, there is not an increased risk of C1-C2 instability, unless any violent trauma or rheumatoid arthritis.

This because of the anatomical specifics of this level.

Even if any instability happens for a reason ( congenital instability for example), there are no instant events, symptoms start gradually.

So, in my opinion, you shouldn't worry about any instant event.

Hope I helped you.

Kind regards.
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical