Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

125 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for chronic kidney disease

Answered by
Dr. Albana Sejdini

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 5257 Questions

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My brother has these symptoms: fatigue, fluid retention in his abdomen and legs, loss of taste, rapid muscle tone loss. I am worried, since he had a CT scan done that showed a dark spot on the kidney, that he has chronic kidney disease. Finding a nephrologist in this area that takes Medicare, which is all he has, has not been possible. What can he do to help himself?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult urologist ASAP...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation your brother is in.

You are mentioning that he had some lab tests, including Ct-scan. Can you please provide the reports to me, so I can analyze them myself before running into final conclusions?

Having fluid retention in abdomen and legs is indicative for kidney problems (chronic kidney disease-should specify this diagnose). We must understand what is the dark spot noted on his kidney, so, we can find the right solution to treat it. Once it is treated, the fluid retention will be subsided too.

Next, as he is suffering of high blood pressure, we must determine whether blood pressure has caused kidney problems or it is chronic kidney disease that has caused blood pressure (secondary blood pressure). In this case, once kidney problems are resolved properly, blood pressure will be improved too.

A further consultation with nephrologist is highly recommended to start immediate treatment. If you cannot find a nephrologist, then, try to find an urologist. He/she will help him too.

Feeling fatigued, rapid muscle tone loss is due to accumulation of wast products as they are not cleared off the body from the kidneys properly.

At the end:

1. Should consult a specialist (urologist or nephrologist) as soon as possible to start specific treatment
2. Advise him to limit salt intake
3. Furosemide (diuretic) use should be started (i.m. for a few days until swelling is subsided, then, orally)

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 minutes later
Getting his records is part of the problem since his doctor refuses to give them to the new doctor even though there have been two written requests from my brother and three telephone requests from the new doctor. However, I think I have enough to work on here and, even though no nephrologist in the area will take a medicare patient, maybe a urologist will. Thank you for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have the right to get those records...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You have your right to get those records, so, try to get them and have it checked by the urologist or the new doctor. You can send to me also for a second opinion.

All the best to your brother and all of you!
If no more questions, kindly close this discussion and rate my answer! You can reopen it anytime you get the records!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Furosemide

doctor1 MD

I have chronic swelling of the ankles, am 39 years old, and have seen my family doctor to rule out any worrisome causes. It seems hereditary, as my mum and grandma had the same. Is there any long-term risk to my kidneys by taking 20-40 mg of Lasix each morning to reduce the fluid retention in my lower legs and ankles?

doctor1 MD

I am taking duromine along with lasix and slow k, as part of a weight loss program. I have been doing so for Nearly 3 weeks and last week I noticed all of a sudden that I was losing hair. I already have a receding hairline and know that my hair won't last forever but my hair is usually thick, now I can see through to the scalp, it is thinning quite fast. Iam also under a bit of stress at work, but I'm not sure if something else apart from the stress is causing the rapid loss or whether it is the medication? Can you please advise?
Thank you.

doctor1 MD

My son has end stage livermdiease saturday hie testles both are like grapefruits he can hardley walk should he go to er or call liver doctor his kidneys are at risk with the water pills neeed to be watched very carefuly !talked to doc last nitte he recommened to increase his Lasix 80mg. he useally tahe 60mg plus 100mg oAleltone water pill In the last 8hrs no change !

doctor1 MD

My wife was just prescribed ABILIFY, it does not say what other drug interactions? She takes many other drugs? It does not list the drug interactions She takes Lisinopril,Levothyroxin, Furosemide, Tizanidine, Fluoxetine, Klonipin, Pravastatin & OTC Green Coffee Bean.

doctor1 MD

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

doctor1 MD

I take medication and cannot take pills so I cruch them and put them in water and wait til they dissolve then drink it my medication list is metoprolol tartrate 50 mg I daily.i also take metformin hcl 1000 mg 1/2 tablet twice a day lisinopril 10...

doctor1 MD

I am 81 years old, male and have been taking diuretics ( furosemide 40mg twice per day for a number of years to control conjestive heart failure . I take klorcon potassium supplement 10 mg x 2 at 9pm daily. Lately it seems that I may need more...