Suggest treatment for chronic kidney disease

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My brother has these symptoms: fatigue, fluid retention in his abdomen and legs, loss of taste, rapid muscle tone loss. I am worried, since he had a CT scan done that showed a dark spot on the kidney, that he has chronic kidney disease. Finding a nephrologist in this area that takes Medicare, which is all he has, has not been possible. What can he do to help himself?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult urologist ASAP...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation your brother is in.

You are mentioning that he had some lab tests, including Ct-scan. Can you please provide the reports to me, so I can analyze them myself before running into final conclusions?

Having fluid retention in abdomen and legs is indicative for kidney problems (chronic kidney disease-should specify this diagnose). We must understand what is the dark spot noted on his kidney, so, we can find the right solution to treat it. Once it is treated, the fluid retention will be subsided too.

Next, as he is suffering of high blood pressure, we must determine whether blood pressure has caused kidney problems or it is chronic kidney disease that has caused blood pressure (secondary blood pressure). In this case, once kidney problems are resolved properly, blood pressure will be improved too.

A further consultation with nephrologist is highly recommended to start immediate treatment. If you cannot find a nephrologist, then, try to find an urologist. He/she will help him too.

Feeling fatigued, rapid muscle tone loss is due to accumulation of wast products as they are not cleared off the body from the kidneys properly.

At the end:

1. Should consult a specialist (urologist or nephrologist) as soon as possible to start specific treatment
2. Advise him to limit salt intake
3. Furosemide (diuretic) use should be started (i.m. for a few days until swelling is subsided, then, orally)

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 minutes later
Getting his records is part of the problem since his doctor refuses to give them to the new doctor even though there have been two written requests from my brother and three telephone requests from the new doctor. However, I think I have enough to work on here and, even though no nephrologist in the area will take a medicare patient, maybe a urologist will. Thank you for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have the right to get those records...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You have your right to get those records, so, try to get them and have it checked by the urologist or the new doctor. You can send to me also for a second opinion.

All the best to your brother and all of you!
Dr.Albana
If no more questions, kindly close this discussion and rate my answer! You can reopen it anytime you get the records!