What causes muscle cramps at night while on diuretics?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 81 years old, male and have been taking diuretics (furosemide 40mg twice per day for a number of years to control conjestive heart failure. I take klorcon potassium supplement 10 mg x 2 at 9pm daily.
Lately it seems that I may need more potassium suppliment as I have been waking up with sever cramping in my hamstrings. Any suggestions?
email is YYYY@YYYY

The Klorcon I take is 10 MEQ x 2per day instead of 10 mg. Sorry for the error.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Many possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns ...

Muscle cramps at night could be due to various causes including a side effect of diuretics, but since you have been using diuretics for years already and this side effect only showed lately then I would recommend that you check on your kidney functions as well including urea and creatinine to exclude renal impairment as a cause of potassium deficiency..

In addition to potassium deficiency, calcium, magnesium and sodium deficiencies can lead to night cramps, so I would recommend that you get a blood test for their levels.. If the potassium level is low then you can take the potassium three times daily...

Dehydration is another cause of night muscle cramps then make sure you get adequate amounts of fluids and calculated amount of water daily.

I hope I answered your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 hours later
I recently had my annual physical and all kidney functions looked good.
I am now concentrating on getting plenty of fluids since the latest night time cramping episode, plus i have been taking several of the 99mg. over the counter potassium throughout the day.

Would you recommend taking 1ea. of the 10 MEQ Klorconn throughout the day (total of 3 daily) with meals instead of taking all at 9PM?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not more than two tablets together

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, it is not recommended to take more than 20 MEQ as a single dose. so you can take two tablets together while the third needs to be taken alone .. Also it should be taken with meals to avoid possible gastric irritation . i hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad