Suggest treatment for chronic headache and arthritis while on Naproxen

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Thank you so much for your follow up Dr. Saha. I didn't expect to hear from you again, so that was a very pleasant surprise! I still have the excruciating chronic headaches that get much worse in the evenings. I have tried using Naproxen as you suggested and it does help a little where other over the counter meds don't do anything. Because my last month's commission check wasn't enough to even pay my mortgage, I had NO money to see a physical therapist, but will as soon as I can for the arthritis in my neck that I am sure after your diagnoses is causing my headaches. I do use my over the door neck traction device with just 10 lbs. for 8 minutes. Doing just that little makes the sharp headache even worse for that day and sometimes the next, so only do when I can. But it seems to be helping. Also running very hot water over my neck while standing in the shower for a looong time time helps some too. Any reason to go see a chiropractor and get a neck X-ray since we know that arthritis is there? I would much appreciate hearing from you again as to your ideas, and thanks again for checking back with me. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
helps some too.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Static neck exercises could help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. I would insist you to refrain from the over-the-door traction. It needs to be overseen by the physical therapist whether the weights are proper, else it may worsen the condition. As of now, limit yourself to static neck exercises (google out for the techniques). I do not see how a chiropractor could help. The X rays are supposed to help in planning the interventions and to mark a baseline for subsequent monitoring of progress.

Feel free to ask me back directly in case of any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad