Suggest treatment for chronic constipation in a child

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Ayurveda
Question: My daughter is 3 yr OLD and she is having chronic constipation. she started constipation after 10 month when she left mothers milk and it became sever when doctor prescribed her antibiotics. She was hospitalized in Sep'16 and from that time she is having continuous constipation and we have tried homeopathic and allopathic medicine. In Ayurveda I have started Gudchi for her immunity booster. could you please suggest for any medicine for her in Ayurveda. Can I try allovera for her? She is having iron deficiency also for that sometimes I gave her iron tonic. Some times she is complaining about leg pain as well. Please suggest me above mentioned problems.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
further necessary explanation

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and after reviewing your History I'm of the following opinion:

1. problem of constipation is commoner in children unless they have significant problem in moving their bowel movements,like: if stool is hard/dry or has fewer bowel movements [less than 3 per week]

2. Other common things which I exclude in my patient(s) at her age is/are:

i. Prakiti [Constitution]: children with Vata XXXXXXX tend to have constipation problem [is she lean/thin]?
ii. Abhyasa of vega dharan (wilful avoidance of the toilet)
iii. Ahara/Vihara (dietary habits): is she in habit of taking too much dry/cold bitter/astringent/low calorie diet? and yes change the type of milk [breast feeding to formula] can also cause constipation
iv. Antra-Avrodha: (intestinal obstruction): due to presence of krimi [worms]?
v. Dourbalya ( Weakness): may be due to pandu (anemia) [check her hemoglobin level]

PS. As Iron causes Constipation and you are giving the same [as tonic] thus could be a contributory factor.
. Is she physically active and are you giving her fibre rich diet and adequate fluid intake?

3. first deworming is essential: make powder of raw XXXXXXX seed and give 250 mg with yogurt or water empty stomach in morning for three days (AVOID: cucumber,long cucumber,raw fruits, potato,meat,sugar,sour foods,milk,jaggery, clarified butter for 15 days) and give walnut,PINEAPPLE,peach

.there after improve digestion : avoid: heavy,slimy food (initially)along with fetid odor and unpleasant sight and give old brown rice green gram,fresh green vegetables, banana, pomegranate, garlic,ginger,raisins, black pepper,clarified butter,butter milk, regular brushing of teeth and tongue cleaning, bathing, lemon,salt,mint,morning walk.

4. Take vitamin A,B,C,E in diet which helps in strengthening the immune system
5. You can give her Bonnisan Liquid: 2-3 tablespoon [thrice daily] [avoid giving calcium supplements] along with 'Teja Ras'
6. Do get an opinion of a Pediatrician [as aloe vera juice is not meant for children especially treating constipation] since it may cause cramping and diarrhea in children

PS. Apart from above I usually go with Suvarn Prasahan (Ayurveda Immunization) and going by her age [3 years]: 64 drops for a period of 21 days is essential

If interested I can courier you the above said medicine(s)

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

direct online link: bit.ly/drmunishsood

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 18 minutes later
She is not lean her weight is 17.5kg.Actually she is afraid of that now because of pain. its chronic constipation so its pain full now. As she is afraid so she ignore as well and don't even want to try for that. If bowel movement will be easy then she will not afraid of.
How can I get XXXXXXX prashan from you? Do I need to shared Address detail?and how will I pay for that?

She is on inhalers as well from last 3 month because doctor was saying she is having sever congestion in lungs. Please suggest for that also. Does Prashan will resolve this issue as well?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
further clarification

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back

1. If the problem has become painful and chronic check with a general surgeon regarding any anal pathology [piles/fissure]

2. give her abhyarishta: 5 ml with equal amount of water twice daily and jatyadi oil for local application

. Shishuvin medicine [SANDU] helps to increase appetite,digestion, relieves gas and helps in easy evacuation of stool: dose is 5 ml thrice daily

3. I will courier you the medicine after sharing your address and my bank details, you can NEFT the amount

Dr. Munish
Naimittika