What causes nausea and vomiting in an elderly person?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Women's Health
Question: My mother 80, was considered in good health post the recent death (9/39/2017) of my father
Had vaginal bleeding day of memorial service
Constipation
Nausea and vomiting
Signs of shock
Now unexplained weight loss
- is at home but now requires constant family care
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rule out endometrial carcinoma

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Unexplained weight loss, dehydration, vaginal bleeding raises the concern for possible uterine (endometrial ) cancer. She requires a detailed pelvic examination, USG pelvis and CT abdomen and pelvis. Please be advised to follow up with a gynecologist/primary provider for necessary evaluation.
Drink plenty of fluids containing electrolytes like Gatorade to stay hydrated and replenish potassium levels (especially if she has been losing fluids through vomiting).

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 8 hours later
Thank you for providing additional information even though I failed to ask a questions.

I will email her primary doctor at Kaiser; Kaiser’s email response and then their follow through I believe is the one good point of Kaiser HealthCare

Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
And thank you for trusting us.
Please let me know if you need further clarifications.

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 hours later
I forgot she had a partial hysterectomy leaving in one Overy

I looked up the USG scan and yes she had a pelvic ultrasound

She is back in emergency on a Potassium IV drip and drinking fluids :(
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Your mother requires an Abdominal Xray erect dine to evaluate for possible intestinal obstruction. Please be advised to discuss this possibility with ER doctor.

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad