Suggest treatment for breast lump

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My name is XXXX & my age is 27 years. I recently observed a big lump in my left breast & went to Gynaec immediately.
This lump is not really painful but at times I do feel discomfort & sometimes like a needle pointing pain.
After having an initial check up, she suspected it to be benign but she still ordered for Diagnostic Mammogram & Breast Ultrasound.
But since my age is less than 30, the radiologists said that they will just perform the Breast Ultrasound.
I am yet to get the final reports but they shared the ultrasound images with me which I am attaching here.
Could you please have a look at the ultrasound images & let me know your opinion ?

Also, please suggest me the next steps what should be taken for its treatment.
I don't have any Cancer History in my family so far, at least not known to me.
I don't drink/smoke. My periods have been irregular since the beginning which usually is delayed by 5-15 days.
Please let me know if any other details are required from my end.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fibroadenoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
As I mentioned in our previous conversation, the lump in the breast seems to be a fibroadenoma. This is so because of your age and its nature.
It is a benign lump which occurs in reproductive age group. It is due to hormonal changes in the body and has no tendency to turn into a cancer.
Since it is a large fibroadenoma, it is preferable to get it removed by surgery.
There is nothing to worry and get panicked at present. You can wait for appropriate time to get the surgery done. Surgery is simple and not involving any major risks.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine