Suggest treatment for bipolar disorder

Dr. Vishal Garala

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Eating Disorders
Question: my wife has bipolar disorder since 1998. she's 62 years old.
for all these past several years she has had great results taking bayer back and body aspirin whenever needed.
suddenly bulletins are popping up in medical references with fda indicating aspirin interferes with ability of kidneys to excrete lithium.
we just tried Tylenol acetaminophen as a replacement but its not as effective and caused slight temporary rash.
she also cannot use opiates.
what can we use? since she had no complaints re aspiring can we go back to it? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hii llithium is best drug in bipolar.

Detailed Answer:
Hii XXXXXXX
I admire you for positive outlook.

Very glad to see you.

Lithium is very excellent drug for bipolar disorder.

As we know lithium is one of the ion which has charge.

So so many thing which can interfere in its excretion.

For simple example excessive water intake or severe dehydration even also affect in excretion.

Yes there is review that aspirin can affect excretion.

But it is not so that lead to any problem.

You can re introduce it if it best suitable to her.
even not interfere with other medicines that you have taken.

Just regular check serum lithium level at regular interval.

If it is in normal limit per say 0.6 to 1.2 meq/l
Than no need to worry.

You can stop when it reach at upper limit or show sign of lithium toxicity.

Always here to help you.

If you have still query than feel free to ask.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj