Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for bilateral flank pain and back pain

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 16494 Questions

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, I started having bilateral flank pain several days ago which I thought was from some type of back pain but I realized that I couldn't reproduce it and it's getting progressively worst. I am unable to lie down or move a certain way without causing intense and excruciating pain! I tried drinking water but becoming nausea. Have frequent urination, no burning but some odor. What should I do? S/P angioplasty with 3 stents x 1 month ago!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strain / Kidney affection

Detailed Answer:

One the most probable reason looks to be sprain of a group of muscles. That is why you are getting this type of pain, wherein you are unable to lie down and or move in a certain way.

Another less probable reason can be inflammation of the kidneys causing spasm of the underlying muscles and giving frequent urination and odor

The reason of nausea would be reflex mechanism of the body, it tries to protect by nausea and vomiting whenever there is severe pain.

Frequent urination with some odor can be due to infection.

I would advise such a patient the following:

1. CBC- for evidence of infection
2. Urine: Routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
3. Ultrasonography of the abdomen in general and specifically for the kidneys.

If these are normal take an opinion of an Orthopedic surgeon.

The reports will guide for further tests and management.

Avoid all such movements which increase your pain

Start the treatment as per the clinical findings and reports of investigations. Tell your treating Doctor about the stents in heart.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Flank pain

doctor1 MD

Hi, I've been having random sharp pains on right abdominal side. Been feeling it for months. Hurts when lying on right side or wear tight fitting clothing on my waist. Have a lot of gas. I weigh 149 pounds. In overall good health. Exercise...

doctor1 MD

I am having cloudy urine with a strong odor

doctor1 MD

I am concerned about my general health due to an antidepressant I am taking for OCD called Luvox; if not for this worry, I would want to continue taking it. I am experiencing lower back pain that has been diagnosed as muscle spasms or lumbungo by...

doctor1 MD

A dark purple almost quarter size bruise appeared under my wifes lower lip in the centre where a man would have hair in the centre. It appeared after dinner. Coukd a mark occur that quickly if she burned her lip on a boiled cob of corn ? She doesnt remember bumping her lip. She also has had a pain in her right flank for over a year and is actually scheduled for a CAT scan in two weeks bec bloodwork was all negative and so was an ultrasound. She us 46 and takes pills for inactive thyroid and testosterone creme for HRT .

doctor1 MD

i have chronic flank pain, had kidney stone surgery in april 2011, never had any issues til now. i had ct scan and no stones, however now going for more test, due to two spots on kidney. i have headaches/nausea/hurts when i cough or sneeze . pain meds do not help. i am so tired since the flank pain has come back. doctor thinks maybe i have renel collic due to the surgery last year. i have been dizzy at times too

doctor1 MD

I went to the ER per my doctors orders, I am having right flank pain(history of stones) and severe mid abdominal pain. I've thrown up multiple times I a week for no reason, there's no pain when I get sick. They did tests and everything was fine, but the pain is still there. And I had 2 seizures and passed out. I can't control my pain at home. I can't even describe the belly pain, I woke up one morning on my belly and when I turned over the pain went to my stomach. I've tried everything. They've done gallbladder tests and are negative as well. I just left 3 hours ago and the pain is worse. Also I told them that I've been having right chest pain. And it came back an hour ago even more intense. I asked if I could be admitted bc I can't control my pain and I haven't eaten in 4 days, also I can barely urinate, I have done it only 2 times today. What should I do? Page my family doc and can she have me admitted until I can see her? The pain is unbrarable. And I've had 20+ stones, a neph tube and a broken femur and that pain is cake compared to this.

doctor1 MD

My symptoms are all over the board. I have low back pain which radiated to my left hip. I went to a doctor who took xrays and said I have a bone spur and mild arthritis and inflammation. Since that appt, my pain has spread down the back of my leg and the fronts on my thighs. I assumed it was all part of the back issue. Today I am experiencing flank pain. It feels as though my sides are bruised. I am also seeing a urologist because I frequently feel as though I have a UTI but the tests are always negative. Had a kidney and bladder scan last week but won't get those results back until mid-June. I also average about once or twice a month the feeling of fullness after barely eating, but I do suffer from reflux. I am concerned about ovarian cancer?