Suggest treatment for bilateral flank pain and back pain

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, I started having bilateral flank pain several days ago which I thought was from some type of back pain but I realized that I couldn't reproduce it and it's getting progressively worst. I am unable to lie down or move a certain way without causing intense and excruciating pain! I tried drinking water but becoming nausea. Have frequent urination, no burning but some odor. What should I do? S/P angioplasty with 3 stents x 1 month ago!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strain / Kidney affection

Detailed Answer:

One the most probable reason looks to be sprain of a group of muscles. That is why you are getting this type of pain, wherein you are unable to lie down and or move in a certain way.

Another less probable reason can be inflammation of the kidneys causing spasm of the underlying muscles and giving frequent urination and odor

The reason of nausea would be reflex mechanism of the body, it tries to protect by nausea and vomiting whenever there is severe pain.

Frequent urination with some odor can be due to infection.

I would advise such a patient the following:

1. CBC- for evidence of infection
2. Urine: Routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
3. Ultrasonography of the abdomen in general and specifically for the kidneys.

If these are normal take an opinion of an Orthopedic surgeon.

The reports will guide for further tests and management.

Avoid all such movements which increase your pain

Start the treatment as per the clinical findings and reports of investigations. Tell your treating Doctor about the stents in heart.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari