What causes pain in the right side of the abdomen?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I've been having random sharp pains on right abdominal side.
Been feeling it for months. Hurts when lying on right side or wear tight fitting clothing on my waist. Have a lot of gas. I weigh 149 pounds. In overall good health. Exercise regularly.
XXXXXXX
Age 57
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need some more information

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query my dear patient.
Have gone through your history and i appreciate your concerns.
You have mentioned that pain is in right side of abdomen. Clinically right side of abdomen is divided into upper,middle and lower part.Each part contains different group of organs therefore treatment and diagnosis depends on the quadrant of right side involved for e.g right upper quadrant contains liver and gallbladder while right lower quadrant contains appendix,colon,part of intestine.So if pain is involving upper quadrant it could reflect pathology of liver or gallbladder while
constant or severe flank pain may indicate a urinary tract infection .

I would like to see a photo of your abdomen with finger or palm showing the area where you feel pain.
Secondly how are your bowel habits any history of constipation or loose stools
Medications tried for gas if any?

Any thing which relieves pain like belching or farting?
Any test like ultrasound etc has been done?

please revert back.
waiting.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
It is in the middle/upper right abdomen. I usually have one or two days a week that I dont have a bowel movement. No tests have been done. After my 3rd child, 20 years ago, i had a umbilical hernia repair & 7 years ago, my colonoscopy showed i had a hernia.Could this be related?
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear
very likely its not related to hernia however the pain site is suggestive of involvement of hepatobiliary tree.
It can be a bile duct inflammation or stone in gallbladder.
I would suggest you to go for an ultrasound abdomen to find out exact cause of pain.
Follow up with report.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj