Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

149 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes pain in the right side of the abdomen?

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 1927 Questions

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I've been having random sharp pains on right abdominal side.
Been feeling it for months. Hurts when lying on right side or wear tight fitting clothing on my waist. Have a lot of gas. I weigh 149 pounds. In overall good health. Exercise regularly.
Age 57
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need some more information

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query my dear patient.
Have gone through your history and i appreciate your concerns.
You have mentioned that pain is in right side of abdomen. Clinically right side of abdomen is divided into upper,middle and lower part.Each part contains different group of organs therefore treatment and diagnosis depends on the quadrant of right side involved for e.g right upper quadrant contains liver and gallbladder while right lower quadrant contains appendix,colon,part of intestine.So if pain is involving upper quadrant it could reflect pathology of liver or gallbladder while
constant or severe flank pain may indicate a urinary tract infection .

I would like to see a photo of your abdomen with finger or palm showing the area where you feel pain.
Secondly how are your bowel habits any history of constipation or loose stools
Medications tried for gas if any?

Any thing which relieves pain like belching or farting?
Any test like ultrasound etc has been done?

please revert back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
It is in the middle/upper right abdomen. I usually have one or two days a week that I dont have a bowel movement. No tests have been done. After my 3rd child, 20 years ago, i had a umbilical hernia repair & 7 years ago, my colonoscopy showed i had a hernia.Could this be related?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear
very likely its not related to hernia however the pain site is suggestive of involvement of hepatobiliary tree.
It can be a bile duct inflammation or stone in gallbladder.
I would suggest you to go for an ultrasound abdomen to find out exact cause of pain.
Follow up with report.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Bile duct inflammation

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am Almabrouk,, My Gallbladder was removed in January 2016, before that an Endoscopy was preformed to remove some stones from my CBD and CHD. I had many stones in MY CBD and CHDagain in August 2017, some of them were removed in 19.08.2017 and...

doctor1 MD

My mother was told by radiologist when she had cat scan that she has bile duct inflammation as well as fluid backing up into one kidney . Very painful stomach. Is this easily treatable?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 39 year old male and have advanced MS. I usually take oral Medrol for 3 to 4 days every two months to help with MS symptoms. It's time for my next dosing but I have inflammation of the bile ducts. My Primary physician ordered an ultrasound and the results said it was inflamed and also there is a small chance (unclear image) of a small kidney stone. Pain is dull and lessened considerably over past few days, and was clearly coming from bile ducts according to sonogram technician's examination. The lab tests and urine test reveal no blood in urine and everything but cholesterol looks pretty good. I have appointment with my physician in a week.... he won't be able to see me sooner. His staff told me if it gets bad I have to either wait for the appointment or go to the ER. The attending nurse said she wouldn't be able to help me any further unless I went and got a CT. I simply cannot afford that. I don't like to go to the ER for diagnostic purposes either--that's not what they are there for. I am not one to go to ER unless it's life threatening. I've had my gall bladder removed and have had bile duct inflammation before. This feels just like it. Last time prednisone and antibiotics worked miracles. I'm don't want to wait because not only it is very uncomfortable but I stand a chance of getting an infection if the plumbing gets bad in my body. Will taking my dose of Medrol (oral) be beneficial or harmful for the inflammation I am experiencing? My doctor won't prescribe antibiotics unless he sees me and he's just too busy for his office to squeeze me in any sooner. So it's either wait or go to ER... I have MS Contin that I take for nueropathy so I can make myself reasonably comfortable, but I would like to treat the inflammation in any way I can. I already am drinking tremendou amounts of water, pineapple iuice, cranberry juice and eating plenty of veggies. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time, Mitchell

doctor1 MD

A recent blood test showed I have 'elevated' levels of gamma gt. The results were provided to me by my doctor on the phone. He said it was likely due to alcohol but would not require retesting for 12 months. I am not an alcoholic. I didn't think to ask what the reading was. What are the health risks if the reading continues to be the same or higher? Are there any other causes apart from alcohol?
Thanking you in advance of your advice.