Suggest treatment for bad breath and body odour in a child

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: hi my 8 year old daughter has really bad breath an bad body odor an have notice hairy armpits this year, she has had this since she was about the age of two,, i have been to doctors when she was 3 but they said she cant have Body odor at her age, but i would like to know is there something more serous to these problems?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following measures can be taken

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

It seems that your child has bromhidrosis (bad body odour) which although rare before puberty, can occur in some children.

Don't worry, you may take the following measures to help her out:

1. Apply Anhydrol forte (available as roll on bottles) at night to sweaty sites like armpits, feet and hands. Wash it off in the morning.

2. Use chlorhexidine mouth washes after brushing teeth twice daily. Wash all her clothes in hot water and detergent daily.

3. Use anti septic soaps for bathing her.

4. Give her plenty of fluids orally. Start increasing her intake of cooling foods, such as radishes, cucumbers, celery, watermelon, cantaloupe, pears, and apples. Also, add chlorophyll-rich green vegetables to her diet. Spinach, parsley, arugula, green beans, Chinese cabbage, broccoli, asparagus and zucchini are great choices. Be sure to include a selection at every meal of the day.

5. Check her for any infections like urinary tract infection by Complete blood count, urine routine and microscopic examination, stools examination.

If still the problem persists, then check her for inborn errors in metabolism at laboratory.

Hopefully this will help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj