Suggest treatment for back pain and neck pain

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Fri, 4 Apr 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hi! I am having severe back pain & pain in the neck which make it difficult to do my day to day activities smoothly. As per my doctors advice I have done the spine X-Ray however the reports are normal. Further there is also some swelling in the back right side of the head. Doctors say it may be due to lack of sleep. please Advice. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: get a MRI of the spine done Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX X-ray is a non-specific test for spinal problems. There could be a cervical canal stenosis or bulge in the neck region along with intervertebral disc prolapse or bulge in the back region as well. For this, a MRI of the whole spine would be a better investigation than plain x-ray. Please consult a spine specialist and undergo the test. Treatment can be planned accordingly. Meanwhile, you could use cervical collar for pain relief in the neck region and a hot water bag for the back pain. Maintain erect back posture always. Move your neck every once in a while. Do not keep it stiff. When in severe pain, you can take simple analgesics like Combiflam or brufen. The swelling in the back right side of head could be due to cervical canal bulge or benign osteoma. Lack of sleep can definitely cause all of your symptoms. Hope this advice helps you. Get well soon.