Suggest treatment for arthritis

Posted on Sat, 14 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a 73 yr. old woman basically healthy, I have Adenauer in my hands and feet, been drinking water. I don't smoke or drink. I am on Blood pressure pill daily(Losartan/HCTZ tab 100/25mg). Simvastatin, 40mg 1 daily, Sertraline 25mg 1daily I am a Widow , Meloxicam 15mg 1daily, Nexium 40mg 1 daily for acid reflux, and Lerazapam 1mg PRN, I am about 225lbs. 5ft. Tall, have Arthritis, I have read never had a problem with fluid before. I did drink some Gatorade in the last couple of days, last Mon. & Tues. but stopped because of sodium.i have Schlolious, had back surgery October, 2014, Dr, XXXXXXX Hansell in Port XXXXXXX Fl. Did surgery to relieve pain from nerve pressure causing in lower back and down leg, it was successful. I use a wheeler walker with seat &a brakes it helps me to walk better and safe balance, I moved to Massachussetts Sept. 29th, 2015 after living alone after my Husband of 50yrs. Away August 2013' My siblings and his siblings live here an we raised 5 awesome Children in Woburn, Ma.i have 1 Son lives near me in Methuen Ma. & 4 Daughters (Chicago, Kentucky , XXXXXXX and North port Fl.). I live in Heatherwood Gracious Retirement alone in studio apt. in Tewksbury, Ma. Near my Son. I have no fever, no pain, just sore joints, from Arthritis. I am pretty healthy, had complete physical, fasting blood, urine and consult with Dr. XXXXXXX Ardel, who was my Doctor for 27yrs. In Fl. I am getting ready for 6mo. Work up, with a Doctor here.i haven't made appt. yet.what can I do besides drinking water, tea and I don't eat spicy foods, my meals are provided here it is not assisted living I go to Dining room for lunch and dinner, have breakfast in my apt.no other issues, I have great support from my Children, my only other problem is I MISS MY HUSBAND, WE WERE TOGETHER SINCE JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL,we had a Good Marriage, 5 Children ages 42'47'49'51'and oldest my Son is 52. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern. You sound to be so proud of your children and the beautiful family that you raised together with your husband, I am really sorry he is not physically with you anymore, but at least your children are close to you.

Regarding what else to do regarding arthritis, there isn't that much more really, you seem to have been doing the right things. In terms of medication you are already covered. Some supplements for the joints like chondroitin and glucosamine sulfate, calcium and vitamin D are also commonly used.

As for other non medication measures, drinking fluids is good. Looking at your height and weight it looks like your weight is an issue, possibly one of the main reasons for your joint and spine issues. So while I understand losing weight might be difficult now with the reduced mobility it is a consideration to be made. Also physical therapy has its importance, though I suppose you have had it after your back surgery.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist