Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for ankle swelling and stomach pain after a fall when suffering from diabetes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
I have fallen and believe I broke a rib(s) a few days ago. The pain has also started in my stomach and my ankles are swollen. I am a 63yr old male, with diabetes.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please do report to an ER at the earliest sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Before we discuss anything else, it would be my sincere request for you to report to the ER (emergency room) at the earliest, as unattended broken ribs can result in various complications, and I would not want you to suffer from any of them. A chest x-ray and physical examination would have to be conducted immediately to first confirm the broken ribs, and then assess possible complications, displacement, risks, etc. As for your ankles, they could be swollen due to the impact of the fall; but your stomach/abdomen being distended is a cause for concern. Have you passed your bowels and urine since the incident? Also, do you have any difficulty breathing? Was there any injury to the head region sir? I would really appreciate it if you visited the ER at the earliest sir, and also if you could take out time to answer my questions sir. For all we know, there might be nothing serious, but I would still like to rule out the worst just to make sure that all is well with you, and from there on we can concentrate on the more mild possible causes and treat them accordingly. I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me regarding any further clarifications that you may have. I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for ankle swelling and stomach pain after a fall when suffering from diabetes? 22 hours later
I reported to ER, the attending Doctor suggested I have bruised ribs, they conducted some chest x-rays and ruled out any heart or liver issues as the reason for the swollen ankles, although they weren't sure as to why they are swollen after conducting a couple tests. There were no injuries to my cranial region and I have not had any particular issues breathing as deep breaths do hurt alas well as coughing although would that be expected with bruised ribs. I have passed urine and have had a BM since the accident. I am still in quite a bit of pain and have not been able to lay down to sleep. I have noticed that my abdomen or belly in colloquial terms has enlarged and is still sore. Can you offer an explanation for this?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you so much sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. Thank you so much for reporting to the ER. The bruised ribs are a more comforting diagnosis, as compared to fractured ribs. It is great to jnow that there were no other complications, and other causes of swollen knees has been ruled out. As suggested earlier, could this possibly be from the fall or injury you suferred that resulted in the rib injury? If a hear and liver condition has been ruled out, then a bone condition may also have to be ruled out with the help of knee x-rays and a synovial fluid aspirate. As for the sore and bloated abdomen, this is quite commonly experienced due to the close proximity of the rib cage to the abdomen. An injury to the ribs indicates that the abdominal region could have also been injured during this unfortunate event, which is why I suggested an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis in my previous response to rule out any possible injury to abdominal organs. If no injury is seen, then this soreness (cause would be muscular) will heal gradually with time, rest and the application of an ice pack. If the pain is too much, you may request for pain management medication as well sir, your doctor will oblige. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor