Suggest treatment for alopecia areata

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
my mom is 50 yrs old and have Alopecia areata problem (2 hair fall spots), she has tried few treatments but it still persist. pls. suggest some medicin / lotion/ oil/ treatment
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alopecia areata treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

Alopecia areata is an autoimmune condition and commonly present as focal patches of hair loss, most commonly over the scalp but also on the beard, moustache or eyebrows or eyelashes. This is the most common type (focal/patchy alopecia areata).

Other types are alopecia totalis and alopecia universalis. In Alopecia totalis is when hair loss involves the entire scalp whereas in Alopecia universalis hair loss involves the entire body hair.

In Focal/patchy type of Alopecia Areata, in most cases, hair regrow spontaneously within 1 year. But people often seek treatment because the bald patches are unsightly and are easily noticeable to others.

Kindly elaborate on the various treatments tried so far?

Various treatment options in Focal type of alopecia areata in order of the choice of treatment:

--Intra-lesional Triamcinolone acetonide is first line treatment in adults followed by other modalities like:
--Topical potent steroids
--Topical Minoxidil
--Topical Anthranalin
--Topical PUVA(psoralens +UVA therapy).

All of them are effective. However I prefer Intra-lesional steroid injections(into the bald patches) in my patients of Alopecia areata. It can be repeated after 3-4 weeks and usually new hair regrow after 2 injections, administered 3 weeks apart.