Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to Benedryl

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: lips gotten worse after taking benedryl what else could i do?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

It looks like you have angioedema. Which is an allergic reaction

Here is what you should do

1. Apply cold packs on the lips to reduce the inflammation
2. Tab Allegra is the ideal tablet for this, you can take it twice daily
3. If it still doesnt subside then you will have to be on oral steroids
4. Please try and recall as to what might have caused this reaction. Did you eat some new food item, was there any insect bite, any new furniture or carpets in the house, any new cosmetics, etc. Persistent presence of symptoms could meant that the triggering factor is still there causing the swollen lips

Like the previous doctors have suggested, it is time you go to the doctor to run some blood tests. Take an appointment with your GP as soon as possible.

I hope I was of help