Eyes swollen due to seasonal allergies. Concerned about taking diphenhydramine. Safe to take Benedryl?

My father is having blood drawn tomorrow to check his PSA levels which have been rising over the past year. His eyes are almost swollen shut, presumably from seasonal allergies. He is concerned that taking 25-50 mg diphenhydramine (Benedryl) will affect his PSA levels and give the physician an inaccurate reading from tomorrow s bloodwork. Can he take the Benedryl today without acutely affecting his PSA?
Wed, 10 Jul 2013