question-icon

Suggest treatment for accidental ingestion of Hydrocodone pills

default
Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: Long story short I have accidentally taken seven 5/325 Hydrocodone pills. Should I try throwing up? I can not get to a hospital due to my location. So I have taken a total of 35mg of Hydrocodone and 22 75mg of Tylenol. I also take 20mg of Lexapro and 7.5mg of Buspar. Please advise me what I should do?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi (58 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
If respiratory problems occurs then call the helpline

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

Hydrocodone pills consists of Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen. Hydrocodone is an opioid drug which is generally considered as safe but accidental ingestion could result in symptoms of poisoning. Normally doses more than 10 mg of Hydrocodone could result in symptoms in opioid naive individual. If you have been taking the drug since last few months then that doses would not cause much damage but still the risk of side effects is there.

If you develop warning signs as difficulty in respiration, breathing problems, shallow breathing, blueness of fingers etc then you should consider going to ER immediately. Call the poison helpline or 911 if you have no immediate access to ER. They will guide you for proper course of action.

Try not to take accidental overdose again. Doses of about 90 mg Hydrocodone could prove fatal. So avoid accidental ingestion please.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Take care. Take plenty of water, remain awake and don't remain alone.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi (6 hours later)
would it be okay for me to take some benadryl for sleep?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Yes that would be ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes that would be ok. Benadryl is a safe to use drug for sleep and is available OTC also.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 5188 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for accidental ingestion of Hydrocodone pills

Brief Answer: If respiratory problems occurs then call the helpline Detailed Answer: Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts Hydrocodone pills consists of Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen. Hydrocodone is an opioid drug which is generally considered as safe but accidental ingestion could result in symptoms of poisoning. Normally doses more than 10 mg of Hydrocodone could result in symptoms in opioid naive individual. If you have been taking the drug since last few months then that doses would not cause much damage but still the risk of side effects is there. If you develop warning signs as difficulty in respiration, breathing problems, shallow breathing, blueness of fingers etc then you should consider going to ER immediately. Call the poison helpline or 911 if you have no immediate access to ER. They will guide you for proper course of action. Try not to take accidental overdose again. Doses of about 90 mg Hydrocodone could prove fatal. So avoid accidental ingestion please. Thanks, hope this helps. Take care. Take plenty of water, remain awake and don't remain alone.