What causes stomach cramps, nausea and loose stools while on Prozac and Buspar?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I take 35 mg of prozac. 30 mg of buspar twice a day. I have anxiety and depression and am 73 years old. I get stomaxch cramps, nausea and loose stools.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be drug induced

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, yes these symptoms can be due to drugs you had been using. Both are known to cause such side effects sepcially the Prozac being more culprit. But usually in both cases the symptoms are reversible after stopping the drugs.

You can either give trial by leaving Prozac first and buspar later and monitor any change in symptoms but meanwhile taking good amount of water and using oral rehydration salts to compensate for the water and electrolytes loss with vomiting and using some diets is indicated. If symptoms are unbearable, consult your psychiatrist for replacements after cross examination of your current depressive stage.

Using antibiotics doesn't seem to be an option but for reassurance a stool microscopy and cultures may be sent to rule out other causes. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your question.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T