Suggest treatment for abscess on buttocks

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: i have a leaking boil on my buttock..near anus..it leaks all night..and when i hope that its gone..it refills itself..this is going on and on
the liquid that comes out is something water and blood mix..i have a picture for ref if you need.thanks
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs a clinical examination by a surgeon followed possibly with surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX ! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

The attached picture shows a sprouting granulation tissue from a discharging perianal lesion with surrounding area of inflammation, and with the history of chronic discharge of serosanguinous liquid (though you did not mention of the duration), is typical of a fistula in ano. Fistula in ano is a connection of a perianal abscess cavity with rhe anorectal region internally and skin externally. This gets infected again and again with the internal opening being the source of chronic infection discharging pus to the exterior. This would not heal simply with antibiotic till the source of infection was closed, and so might require a surgery under spinal/general anaesthesia after proper clinical assessment along with related investigations. Antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs might give you a temporary symptomatic relief.

If I were your family physician, I would refer you to a general surgeon for a clinical examination and investigations followed possibly by a surgery.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.
Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
How much will a medical surgery cost me..will my mediclaim card take care of the surgery expense..
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This would depend on the surgeon, hospital and insurance company.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ! Good evening. Good to hear from you so soon.

The cost of the surgery would depend on the exact diagnosis, the surgery itself, and would differ from hospital to hospital. This could be appropriately answered by your treating surgeon/hospital.

Yes, usually the mediclaim card should take care of the expense. Please confirm from your mediclaim agent/company. Usually the hospital correspond with the mediclaim people before admitting you for the surgery, as this would be a planned surgery.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, please feel free to ask.
Thanks and good luck.
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon