How can a perianal abscess be treated?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 13 May 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I was diagnosed with hepatitis A in the month of December 2016. Post which I got Jaundice. The Diagnosis of hepatitis A was as follows : I had very high fever and on CBC blood test the SGPT count was very high at 600. I was admitted to a Hospital and post a blood culture test I was diagnosed with Hepatitis A (my SGPT count went up to 2000. Post discharge I had Jaundice . Towards the end of February My SGPT and SGOT levels came down to 95 & 65.
I had very high fever (range 102 to 104) thrice till now from February till now. The fever is very high and continues for 2 to 3 days and the blood test shows high WBC cells. Doctor informed me that this are viral/ bacterial infections I get due to low immunity. I had inflated tonsils episode the last 2 times. The last episode of fever was on 13/4/17, when the tonsils were enlarged and also had some boils. One of the boils on one tonsil burst and the wound remained. I was on Antibiotic medications to treat this.
Recently last Monday 17/417 , I had bleeding from the rectum. I immediately approached the doctor who informed me to stop other medications and take only antibiotics. Since last Friday the bleeding had almost stoped but I have was getting some sticky discharge from the rectum.
Yesterday I visited a General surgeon who post investigation informed me that this was a Perianal Abscess and this will need operation.
I want to know if this can be treated without Surgery and what are the issues? Any recommended Home treatment.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Incision and drainage

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Your question is about treatment of perianal abscess.

Abscess is a collection of pus.
Abscess should be drained.
Medication alone will not resolve it.
There is no home remedy which will completely resolve perianal abscess.
Incision and drainage is what is advised for perianal abscess.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 minutes later
Yesterday when the surgeon conducted the check there was a sticky secretion which had come out. It was very painful.
I have some discomfort during the motions, However there has been no episode of puss secretion since yesterday.
There was a sight discomfort while passing motions in the morning as due to the severe pain I felt during the checkup. However there has been no episodes of pus secretion till now. Is it possible that the abscess has been drained as there is no discharge since the checkup.

Also, please let me know how was this caused, was this due to frequent antibiotics and medicines used.
Was perianal abscess the reason for getting high fever (3 times) during the last few months.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
It is less likely that the abscess was drained completely.
Only an examination will let you know whether the abscess was drained completely.

It is not due to frequent use of antibiotics.
A blocked anal gland may lead to abscess.
Though abscess can cause fever, I do not think that was responsible for your recurrent fever you had over last few months.

Dr.R.K