Suggest treatment for abdominal pain when suffering from barretts oesophagus

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Approx two months I have had a bout of IBS which I have had for many years. This was resulting in a urine infection but resulted in a kidney infection. I was provided with three days supply of Nitrofurantoin and took the last capsule yesterday morning. I was pleased because the pain subsided and started to feel better later on yesterday. In addition I have a Barretts Oesophagus and the capsules affected it which ended in having pains in that area. I took additional lanzaprazole for this and this has quietened that pain down . The Doctor also took a urine sample which has proved normal. However, at 2.30 am today the pain for the infection started again and has continued throughout the day. I telephoned the Doctor to enquire whether further antibiotics were required and was informed this was "residual pain" and to take pain killers - which in turn affect the Barretts.
What action can I take if these symptom persist as the pain prevents me from walking sitting even lying down in bed and have not been able to sleep?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drink plenty of water

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

Unfortunately I fell three days supply of nitrofurantoin would not be enough
Any antibiotic for UTI needs five to seven days

And with quinolones available why would I prefer Nitrofurantion which has known GI Side effects

Yet I would suggest you take plenty of fluids orally as the urine sample is normal
Residual pain is usually inflammatory so a good antiinflamatory agent like ibuprofen along with Lanzoperazole will help

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later
Thank you. The pain subsided after 24 hours and I managed to go to sleep at gone 3.o.am today.. this means I had the pain for over 24 hours. I have not had a response from my Doctor. I am unable to take certain antibiotics as I have an adverse effect from these i.e. swelling of the throat and end up being rushed into hospital so I think that the ones provided were the only ones available. I have not heard that I will be provided with any further antibiotics so I hope no further problems arise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Makes sense

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information

It really makes sense using time tested antibiotics when the conventional ones are known to cause issues

My regards to your treating doctor for making good use of pharmacology to the clinical aid

Hope fully you should not have any more issues
In case you need help, do write back without hesitation

Have a healthy life ahead
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj