Suggest treatment for a staph infection

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 12 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Since the beginning of February, my 26 year old son has been treated for a staph infection in his sinuses. The treating doctor is an infectious disease specialist. According to recent lab tests the staph infection is gone. While he was being treated he developed two ear infections and swollen hands/fingers. When he scratched one of his hands it started to ooze. He returned to the doctor and a sample was taken for testing. At that time he was placed on another antibiotic for a different bacteria. The swelling eventually subsided. Yesterday his arm started to swell at the same location where he had an allergic reaction to a bee sting this fall. He went to urgent care today (Sunday) and is currently awaiting results of additional lab tests. I do not know the names of all the antibiotics he has been prescribed. The final antibiotic he received for the staph infection was previously only available in IV form. What could be the cause of all these symptoms and where do we go from here? Should we seek a second opinion? If yes, what type of doctor should be consulted? Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Might be an allergic reaction to the antibiotics taken

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.
I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

Looking at the information provided,your son might be suffering from Allergic reaction to the antibiotics taken leading to swelling of arm.

He may have a test for Allergic testing for the Antibiotics taken .

At present,if he is not having any infection,then stop the Antibiotics.

He may find relief by taking Antihistaminic like Cetrizine.

Hope this answers your question Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng