• question-icon

Suggest treatment for TIA in a diabetic

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: Hello,
My mother is 83, diabetic, has had a TIA in the occipital cortex within the last 2 years, and is now so exhausted all she wants to do all day is sleep which she does a lot. Her night sleep is unimpaired. The exhaustion in new this month.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
patients become scared of becoming 'dependant' after a TIA.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
Sometimes at this age patients become scared of becoming 'dependant' after a TIA. And the mental strain tires them.
But to be on the safe side do a complete blood work up if not already done--including kidney, liver tests, electrolytes (especially sodium) and vitamin levels.
If these are all normal--encourage her to walk as much as she can and get her doctor to counsel her that this is temporary and she will completely improve.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Geeta Sundar