Suggest treatment for IBS caused by diverticulitis

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi!! I love this service you offer. I have IBS. I had a colon resection about 10 years ago due to diverticulitis. Lately, I have terrible gas..ugh..and I have had acid leakage that acts up . My doc gave me someCholestyramine for Oral Suspension and a pouch a day works pretty well. Not REAL well. I do drink wine. I do drink coffee. I know. I know. Naughty! But I am 74 and I and my husband like to indulge in good eating and wine. So, can I take the generic for Prilosec instead? Will it do the same for me? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can go ahead with it, but triggers may not allow 100 % effectiveness

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I am sure you are well aware of the basic rule of IBS which states that as long as a trigger is present, your symptoms shall prevail.

So, if you really want complete relief, you need to get rid of those triggers. If not, every solution will seem to work inadequately ma'am. But the answer to your question is yes, I would think Prilosec would work well, but then again there exists the chance of it not working well enough as long as the triggers are present.

I hope you find my response helpful. I wish both you and your husband a long healthy blissful life. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee