Suggest treatment for GERD

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: GERD Cure
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXX, CAN CONTROL SYMPTOMS BUT NO CURE

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.
I understand your concern.
Well Gerd is a very common problem but unfortunately we are able to control with intermittent waxing and waining of symptoms.
Lot of times these symptoms are related to stress, lifestyle and food habit habits.
Worthwhile getting an endoscopy done to look for hiatus hernia, if it is large the surgical correction of it is the only definitive cure or else can control symptoms with acidity suppressing medications and prokinetic with help to reduce reflux.
In addition following things will help you in long run.
Eating on time
Small frequent meals
Do not drink water with meals
Avoid lying down two hours after meals
Regular walk
Adequate sleep
Cutting down on sleep

All this will help controlling your symptoms in long run
Best wishes
Happy to help
Wish you an healthy life ahead
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 28 minutes later
Doctor,

Is there any new tablet to supress GERD .my symptoms get worse in the evening.

In addition to that if any tablet to heal redness in esophagus if yes please share. I don't smoke or take alcohol.

Like mouth ulcer we take riboflavin.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query.
Well doubling the dose of proton pump inhibitors Like rabeprazole 20 mg twice a day along with a prokinetic like domperidone 10 mg thrice a day before meals and see how you feel.
Both these medications Are available over the counter.
Hope this answers your query.
Best wishes