Suggest treatment for Angioedema and severe swelling in limbs and face
Hello and I am sorry that you are having these problems. Angioedema is a very serious and uncomfortable problem. It sounds like many causes and treatments have been explored without giving you an answer as to the cause. Many medications like ACE-inhibitors can cause angioedema and sometimes it is a genetic conditon (inherited angioedema). If you are having trouble breathing then you need to go to the Emergency Department. If it is not severe then there are some treatment suggestions that you can discuss with your local doctor. Prednisone as you have already tried can work in some people and it may need to be continued for quite a while. In patients that I have had with hereditary angioedema a combination of H1 blockers (antihistamines like loratadine) and H2 blockers (like ranitadine) has been very helpful. We think of H2 blockers for stomach problems but they actually block a different kind of antihistamine and the combination often works better than one of them alone.
For a specific type of angioedema called a C1 inhibitor deficiency other medications are available. Here are some examples:
Purified C1 inhibitor concentrate (Cinryze, Berinert)
Ecallantide (Kalbitor) (a kallikrein inhibitor available in the United States)
Icatibant (Firazyr), a bradykinin B2 receptor antagonist
Fresh frozen plasma or solvent-detergent treated plasma
I hope this is helpful to you and I wish you the best.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for allergic angioedema
- Chronic angioedema treatment
- Siddha treatment in angioedema
- Hereditary angioedema traveling swelling
- Treatment and cure for hereditary angioedema
- Angioedema and cannabis treatment
- Acei angioedema treatment
- Small child swelling in lip angioedema given prednisone benadryl treatment
- Treatment and cure for acquired angioedema
- Treatment and cure for angioedema
- What causes gas, stomach gurgling and fullness in upper chest?
- Is it not safe to have Amoxicillin for heart murmur?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and tenderness on the sides
- Suggest treatment for Angioedema and severe swelling in limbs and face
- Suggest treatment for soft stool
- What causes hair loss?
- Suggest treatment for fever, sore throat, cough and diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for severe pain due to arthritis in spine and both hands
- Can Requip and Sinemet be taken together?
- What causes gritty, white discharge during urination?